Thursday, May 03, 2007

I know that there are a lot of steps to take before I can actually be a Professional Genealogist. I just don't know in what order I should take those steps. I need to
  • Find a mentor
  • Join the local Genealogical Society
  • Take certification classes
  • Get field experience
  • Advertise and get clients
  • Take certification exams & apply for certification
  • Take accreditation exams & apply for accreditation
  • Set up a sole proprietorship or LLC
Here's the thing, though - which comes first? The coursework or the field experience? The getting clients or the setting up a sole proprietorship? The field experience or the getting clients? And then there are obstacles at each step. I know the names of several PGs in my hometown (who are apparently no longer taking new clients), but I know nothing about their personalities or whether they would be good mentors, let alone willing to take on a mentee. As for the certification classes, they cost money, which I don't have a lot of extra right now. And finally, am I allowed to advertise myself as an independent researcher without registering as a sole proprietorship? Or do I have to register first? All of these obstacles can be overcome with a little bit of investigating, but until I get the time to investigate they are all floating around in my head worrying me. Thank goodness the weekend is coming up. And my boss is back in town today (briefly) so I can talk with her about coming in earlier and leaving earlier. It'll all come together with a little patience.

No comments: